This is most of everything I have ever said about sex work, a few bits are missing from an old blog but I usually remember to put them here any time they are relevant rather than redundant. There are LOADS more videos to access from the few shown…if you REALLY need that much of me sounding off. :o)
I have known sexworkers as friends and equals for more than 40 years. I sold sex for about 7 years in 3 countries. If I couldn’t have done that I wouldn’t be alive to tell the tale. I have been an activist, pretty much by default, usually to counter potentially harmful whopping great lies from the ambition junkies in the NGO sector, for over 20 years.
I will not take money or personal advantage, I will not lie or enable lies, I will not subscribe to corruption, I will not sell the innocent people out for anyone’s agenda or ambition.
I rather think that tends to spoil the caper for others.
I wish there was some way, some formula of words, some magic spell that would make all these terrible people stop the lies, the corruption and the endless predation, but there isn’t. The irony is that it would be just as easy for them to choose to do good instead – I guess it wouldn’t be half as much fun for them, nor pay as well?
I do not like sex work, I am not remotely sex positive, I am a recluse who could not cope with a book deal or a lucrative NGO if you gave me one but I am now putting my whole life on the line to fight Turn Off the Red Light in Ireland, based on decades of personal experience.
Sex Work and Me:
- Myth: This is Not a Grudge Fight For Me
- Myth: I Must Be Very Brave To Challenge The Things I do
- Myth: Male Sense of Entitlement
- Myth: There is No Poetry in Sex Work
- Myth: Life is Always Worth Living
- Myth: I Never Correspond With Peanut Farmers
- Myth: Melissa Farley is the Mother of Abolitionism
- Myth: I Never Had an Unworthy Thought in My Life
- Myth: I Made The Right Choice In Dodging JOC Hearings
- Myth: We Cannot Show Our Face or Names For Shame
- Myth: Cut the Red Wire to Stop the Countdown
- Myth: I have given up…
- Myth: It is Not as if Denise Charlton and I Ever Run Into Each Other
- Myth: I Was Singing a Very Different Tune in 2000
- Myth: It is Not Easy to Get Away With Murder
- Myth: It is Always Right to Refuse to Sell Sex
- Myth: Is it Cos I is God?
- Myth: I Have the Right to Life
- Anatomy of a Stalker
- Merry Christmas and Goodbye
- Sex Work and Me…the Short Version
- Myth: I Do Not Have PTSD
- OUT AND PROUD
Sex Work General:
- Myth: Women Are Forced to Sell Sex by Sex Buyers
- Myth: Children Would Rather Starve Than Work In a Sweat Shop
- Myth: Child Sex Abuse is Always a Simple Issue
- Myth: I Promote Sex Work
- Myth: French Senate Rejection of Sex Buyer Laws Has No Impact In Ireland
- Myth: I Am Not Anti-Trafficking
- Myth: Abolitionists Would Hate to See Anyone Shot in Cold Blood
- Myth: I Fight for the Right to Buy Sex
- Myth: When in Doubt – Blame the Consequences
- Myth: There is No Such Thing as “Strange Fruit”
- Myth: We Will Never Find a Hero to Stand Up For Us
- Myth: There is NO SUCH THING as a Child Sex Slave
- The Truth About the Nordic Model
- Compromising with the Nordic Model
- Myth: Sex Workers in Iraq are Very Different to Us
Law carved from whole deceit and abuse: Clause 15 Northern Ireland
- My Submission to Leaving Prostitution Consultation Questionnaire
- Waiting for the Silence of the Lambs
- The Anathema of “Faith Based Rescue”
- Moral Panic: A Licence to Abuse
- e.g. The Sound Evidential Basis of Abolitionist Journalism
- Open Letter to Jim Wells MLA
- Research Commissioned by the Department of Justice Northern Ireland 2014 that busts all the myths for good.
- Myth: The Justice Committee in Stormont Treat All With Equal Respect and Courtesy
- Myth: The DUP Never do Anything Useful
- Sworn Evidence Concealed By Justice Committee Stormont
- Hardline Christian Unionism in Ulster
- Fundamentalism and Same Sex Marriage
Turn Off The Red Light: Sacrificing sex workers and their families to personal ambition:
- The Ruhama Experience
- “Sending a message is more important than personal safety” Minister Frances Fitzgerald
- What Proposed New Legislation in Ireland Really Means
- Myth: There Has Been a Debate About Sex Work in Ireland
- Myth: Newly Appointed Minister For Justice Francis Fitzgerald is 100% Anti Sex Work
- Myth: Eradicating Sex Workers is Serious Work
- Myth: Ruhama Do Some Good Work
- Myth: Turn Off the Red Light are Trying to Save Children
- Myth: Denise Charlton and I Have Never Had a Little Chat
- Myth: Sex Workers are Never Abused
- Why Nobody Will Stand Up to “Turn Off the Red Light”
- Myth: Turn Off The Red Light Will Not Affect…
- Interdisciplinary Report on Prostitution in Ireland, Dublin, Irish Human Rights Commission, April, 2009 – even ignored by some of it’s authors, like Ivana Bacik. Hypocrisy Gold catching current propaganda out again and again. They also broke the mould and asked SEVEN WHOLE SEX WORKERS to speak for themselves
- Myth: “Girls on the Street the Need For a Welcome” Caused Ruhama
- A Summary of “Turn Off the Red Light”
- Ruhama 2013: Reports and Accounts
- Ruhama Conferences 1995 and 2013
Sacrificing sex workers and their families to personal ambition: The Next Generation
- Myth: I Support/Oppose Escort Ireland
- SWAI: The Ultimate Conflict of Interest
- Comment Censored by “The Guardian” 24 March 2015: Which Nail Did I Hit On the Head This time?
Paid for lies and histrionics: “Survivors of prostitution”:
- Myth: My Years in Gibraltar
- Myth: I Never Do Rachel Moran Any Favours
- Myth: I Cannot Work Out Mia De Faoite’s Motivation
- The Origins of Rachel Moran?
- Letter to Irish Times 31 May 2015
- Fanny by Gaslight
If you think this is just another “Irish Problem” think again:
“We tend to value what we pay for more than what is free.”
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I do not particularly like the sex industry, but I am grateful to the sex industry because it gave me a way to survive when everything else failed.
Objectively the sex industry is neither a bad thing, nor a good thing, it is a neutral thing, and beyond that, the sex industry is whatever those involved choose to make of it.
I am now satisfied, beyond doubt that Abolitionism is nothing but a remorseless evil that is of no use or advantage to anyone but it’s perpetrators.
Now I really do have to abandon this here for whatever it is worth to anyone and go back to what is left of my life, simply because I am afraid of what I might become if I get any more angry.
(Well that didn’t last for ever did it? But the truth is that I cannot just get on with some kind of life KNOWING how wrong and rotten this all is without trying to do something)